Yes, quinoa has been all the talk around our house! We're pretty exciting! But actually, what was exciting this week, were the rave reviews received from our latest quinoa experience!
And yet again, I've just shortened the original name, because you just can't fit every ingredient into a recipe name and have people ask for that dish by name. And, after thoroughly enjoying this amazing meal the other night, our little boys, in fact, have been requesting. . .
1 cup quinoa
2 cups vegetable broth
1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans--drained and rinsed)
2 cups of chopped spinach
1 bunch of cilantro
1/4 cup sweet onion (purple or white work)
2 small cloves garlic (I used already diced garlic from a jar)
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
2 avocados, diced
juice of 2 lemons
zest of 1 lemon
2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp sugar
dash of salt and pepper
1.Bring the vegetable broth to a boil and add quinoa. Bring back to a boil and cook for about 12-15 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed the liquid.
2. Remove from heat and spread quinoa out on a cookie sheet ( to help cool faster).
3. In a food processor, add the spinach and cilantro. Process until they are finely diced. Add the mixture to a bowl, and set aside.
4. Finely dice the onion and add onion and garlic to the greens mixture.
5. Add the chickpeas and stir until everything is combined and nicely coated.
6. After the quinoa is cooled, add it to the chickpea mixture.
7. Whisk the dressing ingredients together. Pour over salad and mix until combined.
8. Add in tomatoes and avocado and mix.
9. Put in fridge for 15 minutes before serving to set the flavors.
**Per usual, a couple of things. This recipe should be fairly quick to make. I, had issues with my food processor, so it took longer than expected. Next time, that won't happen. BUT--you can do some of the dicing ahead, as well as the dressing, so when the cooking time comes, it's done in a flash!
**And, all 3 of our table-food eating boys, gave it 2 thumbs up! They want to have this "recipe" again! Hubby and I loved it too! Our favorite quinoa dish so far! Let me know if you try it!!
Happy Friday and Happy Eating!