The original recipe is here at Cookin Canuck and is called Quinoa Salad with Apple, Chickpeas, Toasted Almonds & Apple Cider Vinaigrette. But, like I did with Cashew Quinoa, I had to shorten the title in an effort to have anyone in my family under 8 ask for it by name! I also tweaked the recipe a tad, and dubbed my version of the recipe. . .
Quinoa Apple Salad
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1/2 c. sliced almonds. toasted (key)
1 can chickpeas
1 large Gala apple, cored and diced
2 green onions, thinly sliced (green and white parts)
3 Tbsp of gorgonzola cheese (if desired, but if you know me, I surely did NOT use cheese)
1/3 cup apple juice or apple cider (I used juice--couldn't find cider yet)
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp honey or agave nectar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1. Rinse quinoa well (in a fine-mesh strainer) and drain.
2. In a medium pot, combine quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn heat to low. Cook until all the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff. Transfer quinoa to a cookie sheet, spreading the quinoa in a thin layer to cool.
3. In a large bowl, mix together cool quinoa, almonds, chickpeas, apple and green onions.
4. Whisk together apple juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, honey and salt.
5. Pour the dressing over the quinoa salad and toss to coat. Serve. Be happy, because your mouth will be!
**A couple of things. . .First, toast your almonds--makes all the difference!! Second, I served this quinoa over spinach leaves--to make it a true salad! Delish! Lots of protein, too! And finally, like I've done with my other 3 quinoa recipes I've shared here, here and here, I can tell you how it went over. Once again, Chad and I loved it! And, I was thinking my boys would too, with the apples and all. Still though, Luke's fave is the Southwest Quinoa and Charlie's is the Cashew Quinoa, but Miles' ranked this one the best! He gobbled his down! We didn't have to fight anyone to eat the Quinoa Apple Salad, but I think the Apple Cider Vinegar reminded them of the "sassy" sauce they get when they are sassy with us. Not, that that ever happens. Ever.
Happy Healthy Eating!