|just chillin' during the weather delay!|
Not really sure when I, of all people, started making FYI Fridays about food. Oh wait, it was only last Friday and today. Don't expect more, just be pleasantly surprised if it happens! ;)
Once again, I tackled quinoa (remember it's keen-wah)! Goodness gracious, why I have I not tried this before a week ago? Thanks to Pinterest, I'm finding all kinds of recipes, and thanks to the summer, I have time to try them out! Monique at Ambitious Kitchen shared this recipe of a quinoa concoction and I had to attempt it! I had to shorten her name for it, so when my people ask for this recipe (which may only be hubby right now) it doesn't take a mouthful to come out! I think I'll call it Cashew Quinoa, but she calls hers Crunchy Cashew Thai Quinoa Salad with Ginger Peanut dressing that is vegan and gluten free (if you make it that way). Fancier name, for sure! Anyway, my littles ate it, but it's still something they are getting used to. Luke did mention he might like the Cashew Quinoa a little more than the Roasted Veggie Quinoa, but in his own nice way, he let me know that doesn't mean he wants it every night! Ha! Charlie's not a fan of cashews (who in their crazy mind . . .) so it wasn't his fave either. Miles ate more of last week's quinoa. BUT, once again Chad and I thought it was delish and healthy! Here's the recipe!
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage (you can buy this already done in small bags)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup diced green onions
- ½ cup cashew halves /pieces
- Fresh lime, for a bit of tang
- For the dressing:
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- To cook quinoa: Rinse quinoa with cold water in mesh strainer. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 ½ cups of water to a boil. Add in quinoa and bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa has absorbed all of the water. Remove from heat and fluff quinoa with fork; place in large bowl and set aside to cool for about 10 minutes. You should have a little over 2 cups of quinoa.
- To make dressing: Add peanut butter and honey to a medium microwave safe bowl; heat in microwave for 20 seconds. Add in soy sauce, vinegar, and both sesame and olive oil and stir until mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Add as much or as little dressing as you’d like to the quinoa. I poured maybe a couple of Tbsp of the dressing in first. Mixed it around with the quinoa to give it a light coat. Once everything was folded in, I added a bit more. I didn't use the entire dressing, though it was delish and could have used a bit more.
- Next fold in red pepper, onion, cabbage, carrots, and cilantro into the quinoa. Garnish with cashews and green onions. Serve chilled or at room temperature with lime wedges if desired.
*If you want the exact recipe from Ambitious Kitchen, click on the links above.
*I bought, but never used the ginger, mentioned in her recipe. Not a huge fan, but it could be great if you like it!
*I served this right after making, so it was warm and yummy! However, I refrigerated the leftovers and had some for lunch the next day. It is really good cold too! So, if you make it ahead, serve chilled, or if not, serving warm is fine too!
*I didn't have gluten free soy sauce, but a friend told me that if I had used that, the entire meal would be gluten free! FYI.
Hope you enjoy! Happy Friday!